Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Goodbye Sundays, Helloooooo Football

Words cannot adequately express my elation for the upcoming NFL season, so instead, I will resurrect a noise saved for such occasions that only Jason Kohn will fully understand:

Oi!

Football
is
BACK!

And it couldn't come soon enough. If I have to watch one more Sportscenter about baseball, Elin Woods, or the goddamn WNBA, I'll be forced to lock Neil Everett in club bathroom with Ben Roethlisberger. Good luck Neil.

But luckily, football is back and, consequently, this means my Sundays are gone. At times, like when summer decides to kick in only in late August, this can be a frustrating trade off. Glimpsing a beautiful sunny day out the window while sprawled out lethargically on my couch, laptop open and tracking all my players, a part of me feels like a lazy piece of shit.

To combat these feelings, I do make it a point to get in a ton of activities on Saturday, and the good news is, most of my friends are on the same page. Volleyball, basketball, AND tennis today? Sure, tomorrow's Sunday. Climb a mountain in the morning? Eh, fuck it, couch recovery to follow.

I'll admit, my commitment level wasn't always this high. And then came Fantasy Football.

Of course, like any sports themed bet, it's a gamble: injuries, off-the-field suspensions, and the elusive notion of the "perfect draft." It's also a frequent conundrum: Who do I root for when my quarterback is playing my defense? What about when my running back faces the 49ers? Maybe he can have a career day and we'll still pull out a W. What? It could happen.

But gambles and conundrums aside, and beyond the prospect of winning a nice chunk of change at the end of the season, the true value of FF is knowledge and appreciation of the game. Knowledge of extremely talented players you'd never heard of and would likely never see in a Gatorade ad (Elvis Dumervil?), and appreciation of the greatest team game there is.

There will be sick catches, ridiculous juke moves, and nausea-inducing hits. There will be blood.

So start making those Saturdays count, my friends, and wave goodbye to Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment